Fun with a suction cap mount and my Canon 5D mkII

I recently borrowed from my good photography mate Chris Willson of http://www.travel67.com/ his suction mount as I had always wanted to play around with mounting my camera on a car or bike to try some longish exposures. I've had some fun experimenting with my Joby Gorillapod mounted to car windows etc.. with results like this one
Speed through the night

But the Gorillapod needs something to wrap it self around where as the suction mount just needs a nice flat surface.
So after knocking off work a couple of days ago and before getting stuck into the beers I decided to head out and give it a go. I soon realized there were several obstacles to get around and that this was not going to be as easy as I first expected. As it was really dark it was super hard to get the focusing and composition spot on. Then there were problems with the rig shaking around too much due to the fact that it was mounted on my bikes plastic wind shield. Which was pretty much impossible to do the long exposures that I had in mind like 1~5 seconds etc.. So I thought in order to keep my chances of getting some sharp shots I had better stick to 10th/second exposures and even then I was sure 99% of them would not be sharp. And I was right.

On top of all that I was freaking out the whole time that my 5D mkII equipped with the Sigma EX 15m fisheye lens could quite possibly go crashing to the ground and then I would probably run over it at any given second.

It did manage to hold on to the wind screen perfectly however and I was able to get maybe 10 good sharp images out of about 200. Better than none I guess. I thought it was a bit of a waste to throw away all of the blurred shots so instead I whipped up this cheap and nasty little stop motion video with Windows Movie Maker. Now I'm by no means a video editor but its fun to put it together anyway as all my work consists of only still imagery. Anyway take a look and let me know what you think.




Heres one of the still images from this series.

The Nite Pirate

Comments

Popular Posts