Quick trip and model shoot on Tokashiki island


Just got back from a nice little over night stay out in the beautiful Kerama island chain on the island of Tokashiki. These islands are just an hour or so by ferry out from Naha city and are an amazing getaway from main island Okinawa and the beaches are a whole different level out there. Not to mention the world class scuba diving and visibility. 

The main reason for the trip was to photograph my good mate with the same last name and model from Canada Jammie Leong. I also wanted to take along my DJI Inspire 1 drone to get some aerial still shots and video from above the island for future video projects. 

A panorama from the sky stitched from about 8 images
 shot with the DJI Inspire 1

Being the busiest month of the year I haven't got around to editing all the photos and video yet but heres a few sample shots and a little background on how I lit and shot them.

First day we were just scouting a location to shoot so I didn't have much gear with me. Hand held bare Cactus speedlite at full power and my Canon 5DmkIII with 16-35mm f4L lens stopped down to about f13 to get the sun burst effect. 

For this shot I wanted to use flash but also use a shallow DOF (depth of field)
So I used my Sigma 35mm f1.4 ART series with an ND8 filter so I could keep my shutter at 200th/sec for flash sync and also keep my aperture pretty wide open at f2.8. 
For light I used a Profoto B1 with Cactus CB60 softbox. 

This was the same as previous shot with the Profoto B1 and Cactus softbox on it mounted on my new large Manfrotto lightstand. I didnt have any sand bags/weights or assistant so I was constantly keeping an eye on it in case the wind got the better of it. Lucky only the softbox blew off at one stage. 


The last two shots here were very wide shots as I wanted to show the colour in the sky and this nice big rock in the middle of the beach so I took off the softbox and just used bare flash from the Profoto B1 from about 5 meters back. 


Will post more drone photos and the video shortly here on my blog as well as on my main Youtube channel at Youtube.com/user/doksik

All images are copyright PeteLeongPhotography. They are available for purchase, just contact me here 




Comments

Popular Posts